Gun Cleaning and Maintenance
Owning a gun is a big responsibility. The proper handling and storage of a firearm is extremely important, particularly for safety reasons. If you’re a gun owner, it is essential that you also know how to correctly clean it after each use. Guns have a series of working parts that must be properly maintained and cleaned in order for them to work correctly and safety.
Before you disassemble your gun for cleaning, it’s important to make sure that it is safe to clean. Make sure that the gun is completely unloaded. This includes checking the barrel and the magazine to ensure that all bullets have been removed. You should also have the safety set to the on position at all times. Remember that even if a gun is unloaded, it should never be pointed at anyone under any circumstances: A good rule of thumb when it comes to gun safety is to always assume it is loaded even when it is not. Never have your finger on the trigger while cleaning your firearm. And make sure to clean your gun in a well-ventilated area to avoid breathing in any harmful chemicals.
When you’re ready to begin the cleaning process, the first thing you need to do is fully disassemble the gun. If you’re unsure how to do this, refer to your particular firearm’s owner’s manual. Keep all parts and pieces together, and set them down on a protective mat, tarp, or garbage bag. You will need to have a special solvent designed to remove debris and gunpowder from the barrel and other parts. This solvent will remove grime and dirt. Use a soft microfiber cloth and apply the solvent to it, gently wiping down all of the parts of your gun. A barrel brush should be used to remove leftover gun powder. The barrel is the most important part of any firearm that needs to be cleaned, since a dirty barrel can affect your aim and the gun’s performance.
After you’ve finished thoroughly cleaning your gun, the proper lubrication should be applied before you put it back together. Gun oil can be purchased at most firearms and sporting goods stores. This oil will help make sure that all of the working parts of your firearm are operating smoothly. Be careful not to apply too much lubricant: A thin, even coat will be just enough to ensure that the weapon is lubricated sufficiently. As you lubricate the barrel, you may notice debris. If this is the case, run the barrel brush through a few more times to ensure that it is completely removed and then apply more oil.
Importance of Practice
Even if you’re a seasoned shooter, practicing with your firearm is extremely important. It is always a good idea to fully understand how your particular gun feels when you shoot it as well as how good you are at hitting targets. There are classes available in most areas that can help teach you how to use a gun correctly, shoot well, and safely use and clean your weapon. You might also go to a local firing range occasionally to help you brush up on your shooting techniques. Just like anything else, practice makes perfect.
- How to Clean Your Handgun: This article covers detailed information about how to properly clean and maintain your handgun.
- NRA Gun Safety Rules: Read here for good information about proper gun safety rules and handling.
- Gun Cleaning Demonstration: Watch this informative instructional video on proper gun-cleaning methods.
- Firearms Cleaning and Maintenance: This page has a lot of helpful information as well as photos to help you with cleaning your gun.
- Firearm Maintenance: This page from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game offers good information about proper firearm maintenance.
- Gun Cleaning 101: You’ll find lots of helpful information here about how to correctly clean your gun.
- Rifle Barrel Cleaning: Check out this page for thorough instructions for cleaning the barrel of your rifle.
- How Often Should You Clean? Read this article that discusses how often you should clean a concealed-carry firearm.
- Preparation for Cleaning Any Firearm: Here are some helpful do’s and don’ts before you begin to clean your firearm.
- Revolver Cleaning: This page has good information for those who need to clean their revolver.
- Gun Cleaning: This article gives some good advice for anyone planning to clean their gun.
- How to Clean an SKS Rifle: Read here to obtain some thorough instructions for cleaning an SKS rifle.
- Rifle Cleaning and Maintenance: Learn more about proper rifle cleaning and maintenance practices here.
- How to Clean a Handgun: Check out this website for more on how to clean a handgun.
- 5 Easy Steps to a Clean Gun: Follow these five simple steps to ensure your gun is correctly cleaned.
- Cleaning a .22 Rifle: If you own a .22 rifle, read here to find out some good cleaning methods.
- Cleaning Your Glock Made Simple: This article is geared towards the proper cleaning of a Glock.
- Cleaning Instructions: For a quick guide to cleaning your firearm, click here.
- Firearm Safety: This useful website has a lot of good information on cleaning and firearm safety.
- 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling: Read here for some good basic gun safety rules.