The History of New York City’s Borough of Manhattan
When you think of New York City, what comes to mind? For many people, it’s the skyscrapers. For others, it would be Broadway and the fabulous shows that take place there. And, others may think of Wall Street, which is the center of the financial world. What these places have in common is the location – the Borough of Manhattan.
Since the Colonial period in history, Manhattan has been a key area for colonists to the new world. Dutch colonists originally settled the area, and it is said that they purchased the land for the Island of Manhattan from Native Americans for a very modest price. From the settlement in the early 1600’s to the bustling metropolis that it is today, it was a very good deal for the colonists.
After the discovery of the area by Henry Hudson in 1609, the first settlement called Fort Amsterdam was created in 1625. From that point, due to the location of the settlement, the island of Manhattan became a focal point of the new land. It held important roles in colonial growth, the foundation of the United States and the subsequent growth of America.
With over 1.5 million people living in the borough of Manhattan, it is the most populous area in the country. In addition to living there, millions more work In Manhattan or are visitors to the many tourist attractions.
To help you learn more about the history of Manhattan, we hope you enjoy reading the following information.
- Manhatta to Manhattan
- Manhattan Island Before the Dutch Settlement
- Early Colonial Maps
- Dutch Arrive on Manhattan Island
- Dutch Colonies in America
- Dutch Purchase of Manhattan Island
- Early Colonial Era
- Colonial New York City
- Colonial History in New York
- New York During the Revolutionary War
- New York in the Revolutionary War
- Revolutionary War Campaign in New York
- Early Maps of New York
- Interactive Map of New York from 1800’s to Today
- 19th Century Maps
- Architecture in the 19th Century
- Skyscrapers of the 20th Century
- History of Manhattan Borough
- Manhattan Neighborhoods
- Neighborhoods of Manhattan
- Landmarks in New York
- Manhattan Attractions
- Historic District Maps of Manhattan
- Manhattan Guide to Attractions