Cleaning & Taking Care Of Your Bird & It’s Cage
Birds are intelligent, affectionate animals that thrive as pets when given the proper care and attention. They are not commonly susceptible to parasites, and are one of the cheapest pets to maintain on average. Birds are a particularly great choice for apartment dwellers because they require so little space.
There are several bird species that are commonly taken in as pets-cockatiels, parrots, finches, and lovebirds are a few of the most popular types; however, it is very important to choose the right species of bird for your living situation. Macaw parrots, for example, are one of the most commonly desired birds because of their intelligence and ability to copy sounds-but they are actually very high maintenance and should only be taken in by owners who are willing to put the proper time and effort into their training. A budgie parakeet-the smallest of the species-is a much more common and wise choice for a Parrot novice. Finches and cockatiels are also great choices for companion birds.
Birds are social, affectionate animals that enjoy the attention of their humans. Before taking in a pet bird, make sure to read everything possible about how to give these sweet creatures the love and attention they deserve. Because of their intelligence, they need lots of mental stimulation-their cage should include plenty of toys, and they should have “cage free” time almost every day. Bird-proofing your home is a must before bringing home your new friend-there are many dangers lurking in the home and it is important to take the steps to create a safe space.
Pet birds require daily cage cleaning and weekly disinfecting of all toys, perches, and water dishes. It is extremely important to keep a sanitary space for your bird because they are very susceptible to disease when kept in unclean conditions. Natural cleaners like vinegar are effective in sanitizing cages, as well as common household products; but are careful; many cleaning products are dangerous to a bird’s sensitive respiratory system.
Types Of Pet Birds
- Types of Bird Species – Learn about popular species of pet birds like parrots, lovebirds, finches, and cockatiels with this popular resource for bird lovers.
- The Basics: Intro to Budgies – Find explanations about the differences between budgies and parakeets and more.
- Finches – Read about housing and grooming requirements for a new pet finch.
- Beginner’s Guide to Parrot Keeping (PDF) – A guide from the World Parrot Trust about how to provide the best home for a pet parrot.
- Parrots – Evidence that shows how smart this bird can be, this study shows that parrots can learn their names from their parents.
How To Care For Your Pet Bird
- How To Care For Your Pet Bird – Tips from the Humane Society for how to take care of a pet bird. Includes information about getting to know your bird and designing the perfect cage.
- Bird Safety: Bird Proof Your Home To Eliminate Household Hazards – A comprehensive guide for bird-proofing your home.
- Safeguarding Your Pet Bird From Dangers in the Kitchen (PDF) – This informational booklet outlines several common safety hazards for birds in the kitchen.
- 4 Tips To Stop Bird Heat Exhaustion – Heat exhaustion is a serious problem with pet birds, but this page details several ways to keep your bird cool during the hot months.
- Top Ten Bird Killers – Find out the most common household dangers posed to birds and what you can do to protect your pet.
- Grooming Your Pet Bird – This grooming guide discusses the importance of wing, beak, and nail trimming.
- Why And How To Bathe Your Bird – A comprehensive article about how to bathe your pet bird. Includes details about bathing birds in the bathtub and within their cages.
- Teaching Your Bird – This guide includes information about how to teach fearful and shy birds, potty training, disciplining parrots, and stick training.
How To Clean Your Bird’s Cage
- Cleaning and Disinfecting A Cockatiel’s Cage – A resource about how to disinfect a cockatiel’s cage, water dish, and toys.
- How To Clean A Bird Cage – A short overview about the importance of cleaning your bird’s cage everyday.
- Cage Liners: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly – Some materials should be avoided in bird cages, and this page discusses the pros and cons of things like wood shavings, paper products, walnut shells, and corn cobs.
- Bird Care: Setting Up The Cage – A short article about how to set up a healthy environment for your bird.
- Caring For Your Bird – An article from the RSPCA about caring for a pet bird. Includes useful information about setting up and cleaning a bird cage.
- How To Choose A Bird Cage – Information about how to choose the perfect bird cage and accessories.
- How Clean Is Clean? A Health Care Guide For Birds – A comprehensive guide to disinfecting bird cages.
- How To Sanitize a Cockatiel’s Cage – Helpful instructions on how to sanitize a pet bird’s cage.
- General Husbandry of Caged Birds – Contains information about how to create the best cage environment for your bird.