Pros and Cons of Using Antibacterial Cleaning Products
Today, there are many types of antibacterial cleaning products available at the grocery store, drug stores, and elsewhere. They are used in homes, classrooms, and other public buildings. There are several brands of antibacterial hand soaps, household cleaners, detergents, and more. As with most things, there are both pros and cons connected with these products. The following looks at some of the pros and cons of using antibacterial cleaning products.
Pros of Using Antibacterial Cleaning Products
Antibacterial cleaning products can be very helpful in environments where people’s immune systems are weak and susceptible to infection. For instance, hospitals often use antibacterial cleaning products to clean patients’ rooms, exam rooms, and many other areas. This helps to prevent patients with weak immune systems from picking up bacteria that could worsen their condition. Senior citizen centers, doctor’s offices, and public health clinics are other examples of places where antibacterial cleaning products are used. Convenience is another pro of antibacterial cleaning products. For example, if a person doesn’t have access to soap and hot water, he or she can use a hand sanitizer as a quick way to kill bacteria on the hands. Generally, hand sanitizers are made in sizes that are convenient to carry along in a pocket or a purse. Antibacterial cleaning products are also useful in places like veterinarian’s offices where lots of animals travel through an office in the span of a single day. By cleaning with these products, the staff can prevent the transference of bacteria from one pet to another. Cleaning an exam table in a vet’s office with antibacterial cleaner after a sick dog was there would be one example. People can also use these products to clean a pet’s area in their home. Many people use these products to clean the space where their pets eat and sleep.
- Antibacterial cleaning products are useful in healthcare settings where patients’ immune systems are weak.
- Hand sanitizers are convenient to use when a person doesn’t have access to soap and hot water.
- Antibacterial cleaning products are helpful for cleaning tasks in a veterinarian’s office and within a home with pets.
Cons of Using Antibacterial Cleaning Products
One of the most significant cons of antibacterial cleaning products is the likelihood of a negative change in people’s sanitary practices. For example, people who use hand sanitizer may not think that they need to wash their hands as often as people who don’t use hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer shouldn’t be used as a substitute for hand-washing with hot water and soap. A thorough hand-washing regimen has been shown to be effective in removing bacteria and germs. Also, hand sanitizer can dry the skin causing cracking and risk of infection especially during the cold months of the year. The overuse of antibacterial soaps and other products can reduce the amount of healthy bacteria on a person’s skin. There are some types of bacteria that protect a person against infections. These good or healthy bacteria die right along with the bad bacteria when antibacterial products are used too often in a household. Many parents use antibacterial cleaning products in the bathrooms and other rooms of their home in an effort to keep germs away from their children. Naturally, they don’t want their children to contract germs and become sick. The parents who use these antibacterial cleaners on a regular basis do so with the best of intentions. But, a child who doesn’t encounter enough bacteria and germs doesn’t have a chance to build up immunity against them. Consequently, the child is more vulnerable when he or she begins school or goes to a place where bacteria are present in abundance. Finally, in some cases, antibacterial soaps are more expensive than non-bacterial types of soap. People who are on tight grocery budgets may not be able to afford all of the antibacterial cleaning products that they think they need for their household.
- Antibacterial soaps can kill both healthy and unhealthy types of bacteria on a person’s skin.
- Antibacterial soaps can be more expensive than regular types of soap.
- Using hand sanitizer or antibacterial soap can cause people to cut down on the amount of hand-washing they do. This can lead to an increase in bacteria and germs.
- Information on Antibacterial Cleaners
- Facts from a Study Concerning Antibacterial Soap
- Questions and Answers about Antibacterial Soap
- Antibacterial Soap and Pregnancy
- Facts about Antibacterial Soap
- A Study Involving Antibacterial Soap (PDF)
- A Look at Antibacterial Cleaning Products (PDF)
- Antibacterial Products and Their Effect on a Septic System
- Facts on an Antibacterial Ingredient
- Learn about Antibacterial Soaps